Regional Officers

Consular

Over the next few days, regions will gain the ability to appoint nations as Regional Officers, with authority over specific areas. For example, a Diplomacy Officer can be given the authority to establish embassies with other regions, and a Communications Officer to recruit and manage welcome telegrams. The name and authority of each office is up to you.

To identify the power a nation holds in its region, you'll begin seeing new icons on nation pages beneath the region, signifying their authority:  Executive,  World Assembly,  Appearance, Border Control,  Embassies,  Communications, and  Polls.

This feature has come from much community discussion over a long time: thank you very much to everyone who contributed! It's a big change (affecting over 5,000 lines of code) and could make a big difference to regional dynamics.

Summary

• Regions may appoint up to 12 Regional Officers.

• Executive authority is required to appoint, dismiss, or modify Regional Officers. Only Founders and Delegates can have Executive authority.

• Apart from Executive authority, Regional Officers can be granted the ability to do anything a Founder or Delegate does.

• No Influence is required to appoint, dismiss, or modify a Regional Officer.

• Influence costs are doubled for Regional Officers. That is, most functions can be used freely, but some Border Controls, such as ejecting nations, are harder to use.

• Regional Officers retain power until dismissed.

• The Delegacy can be given a specific set of powers, rather than (as is the case today) being either powerless or fully executive. For example, a region could set their Delegacy to grant authority over Border Control but not Appearance.

Some interesting changes that have been a long time coming. :D

This new system may be confusing to regions such as TWP, where in-game and off-site governments are deemed seperate. Will the DAs of the Voice be appointed as regional officers, or will their authority stay limited to the forums?

The DAs are institutionalized by the off-site government and hence won't get any of those. The guardians are part of our in-game and hence may be the ones getting stuff like that, or the delegate appointed staff. But no decision has been made, and none will be made hastily.

A delegate move executed to preserve/utilize influence. I'm not exactly sure of the mechanics. But the Delegate leaves the region and the person with the most endorsements takes over and burns all of their influence ejecting nations. The Delegate then comes back before the update reclaiming the throne.

I believe it was invented here utilizing TWP brilliance! And I believe one was executed here this past spring.

Consequently the slingshot move failure is what ended the Lazarus drama this past spring as well. When the Delegate left #2 was a plant and ejected the Delegate.

A delegate move executed to preserve/utilize influence. I'm not exactly sure of the mechanics. But the Delegate leaves the region and the person with the most endorsements takes over and burns all of their influence ejecting nations. The Delegate then comes back before the update reclaiming the throne.

I believe it was invented here utilizing TWP brilliance! And I believe one was executed here this past spring.

Consequently the slingshot move failure is what ended the Lazarus drama this past spring as well. When the Delegate left #2 was a plant and ejected the Delegate.

Minor correction: Past Autumn. We've got different seasons as well :(

And in TBR it was more recently (successfully) used by EW Souls and We Are Not the NSA to clean up the region.