Democratic Union Party of The West Pacific

Cormac

So, Delegate Darkesia noted on IRC earlier that I'm too thin skinned, and that when I feel too many people are opposed to me, I invest my time in more pleasant surroundings. That's generally true, because I don't see the point in sticking around somewhere you're broadly disliked.

That said, I feel that I'm responsible for people disliking me here by not being more respectful of The West Pacific's political culture, and by proposing a big plan without first putting any actual effort into TWP and becoming part of the community. That doesn't sit well with me and it also doesn't sit well with me that some have been left with a negative impression of me without actually getting to know me and see me do something productive. So I would like to contribute here a bit less aggressively and with a somewhat thicker skin toward those who don't like me, some of whom didn't like me long before I ever tried to participate here, which is fine for them.

So, my apologies for the disrespect to your political culture. I should put in the time and effort to be part of your community before thinking I should have input on how it should be run, and that's what I'm going to do.

Bandwagon just arrived at 11:05 pm

Except that it turns out he's not on a bandwagon. He's coming back to this region instead of quitting despite the fact that some people are trying as hard as possible to make it a hostile environment for him, and I admire that. It's not political opportunism, he's genuinely trying to do something because he thinks it's right.

Oh god. I said that about freaking Cormac. I think the world is coming to an end.

So, Delegate Darkesia noted on IRC earlier that I'm too thin skinned, and that when I feel too many people are opposed to me, I invest my time in more pleasant surroundings. That's generally true, because I don't see the point in sticking around somewhere you're broadly disliked.

That said, I feel that I'm responsible for people disliking me here by not being more respectful of The West Pacific's political culture, and by proposing a big plan without first putting any actual effort into TWP and becoming part of the community. That doesn't sit well with me and it also doesn't sit well with me that some have been left with a negative impression of me without actually getting to know me and see me do something productive. So I would like to contribute here a bit less aggressively and with a somewhat thicker skin toward those who don't like me, some of whom didn't like me long before I ever tried to participate here, which is fine for them.

So, my apologies for the disrespect to your political culture. I should put in the time and effort to be part of your community before thinking I should have input on how it should be run, and that's what I'm going to do.

No idea who you are, really, but I've heard bad things.

That earns you respect in my book.

Takes a damn strong character to come back and say that, respect to you. I sincerely hope people start getting along, and I'm certain there are many contributions for you to make in time.

well that's appropriate Llamas because you act like Cormac's puppet

I have zero use for either of you

You don't have to have use for them. We aren't here for you to use.

Let's just get that straight real quick.

And for the last time, this thread has nothing to do with llamas and therefore you should not attack him here.

Thank you.

You don't have to have use for them. We aren't here for you to use.

Let's just get that straight real quick.

And for the last time, this thread has nothing to do with llamas and therefore you should not attack him here.

Thank you.

Then I'll attack you for supporting his propaganda against the Delegate and the Guardians, obviously you're a supporter and need to be lumped in with the miscreant.

Then I'll attack you for supporting his propaganda against the Delegate and the Guardians, obviously you're a supporter and need to be lumped in with the miscreant.

Does everyone see the above?

Just checking.

I'm afraid you don't understand.

Go read the "Withdraw embassies with the pacific" thread. I don't support Llamas any more, but it seems with each post you make, I support you even less. You're not the only one you're hurting, either. My respect for the guardian system is being fundamentally damaged, here.

Eli is Eli is Eli.  He likes what he likes and he loathes everything else.  (That's an IC position by the way, people,  Don't be getting all bent out of shape)

Welcome back, Cormac.  I did, indeed challenge him to come back and invest his time and effort here.  In this time of change and flux, people are on edge.  But all this stress will be for naught, if we all run away when we face loud, rude opposition.  Fight for your individual visions and remember, in the end the ideal is some compromise between them all.

Not everyone can win elections.  No one can have their vision of the region 100% purely incorporated.  But we all want what we think is best for TWP.  So, Argue on!  :)

URAP: I can see you how this must be hard for players who are not used to hardpolitiks or realpolitiks in the game - or who don't Like them.

In TWP you can say almost Anything, as long as you realize you will be held responsible for your words and ideas. The Guardians job is in-game protection of the region. In the forum, they don't hold any specific role unless they do so as everyone else, and their in-forum actions are independent from their guardianship role

So, I explain This as a defense to the guardians system - that has not relationship to the political battle that has been occurring lately.

On the other hand, while I can understand how the political battle going on may be hard or uncomfortable for people, but is a consequence of that freedom to speak openly that the region enjoys. That with thread hijacking makes the forums become quite a hot place to navigate, but honestly entertaining to some - I count myself in it honestly.

My whole point to you would perhaps be to try to ignore the banter if it makes you uncomfortable, and to feel free to get involved in collaborating with the region without getting in the realpolitik, if you may. It can get complicated at times but I asure you is possible.

Cheers my friend!

I'm not even that pissed.

I am aggravated that it is deterring other nations. Hariko. Lemon. These people deserve to have a say and they don't feel comfortable doing it because they are afraid of the politics they don't fully understand going on in the thread.

I understand it won't taint me. But they don't. I'm fighting more for them than myself.

well that's appropriate Llamas because you act like Cormac's puppet

I have zero use for either of you

Oh go away, this thread was for Cormac and his political party. You lot already insult Llamas in every other thread too, it's getting kinda monotonous.

And that is commendable! Please feel free to share my and Dark's words to them if they haven't seen them here, and to remember you guys can always find another way to spin this into something enjoyable - like, I dunno, the creation of a fun-oriented AntiBanter League.

Everything is possible, I think :P

I don't have any issues with banter. Friendly conversation is the backbone of all NS communities.

What I do have issues with? The constant bullying of certain nations because of several acts which to be honest, I don't see the severity of. I have an issue, with the complete derailment of every single political discussion on this forum, in order to discuss how terrible Llamas is. I have an issue with the fact that this community has become so suddenly toxic, on all sections of the forums and occasionally RMB.

Possibly worst of all though, I have an issue with the fact that you think it's okay. It's not okay to bring all political discussions down to snide comments and bickering, it's not okay to allow a single argument to completely overtake all other discussion save the spam threads. I joined TWP because it looked like an interesting community to become part of, because I genuinely wanted to take part here. This whole debacle is giving me doubts.

My friend, politics does come down to exactly "snide comments and bickering" when people do not agree on matters.  Some don't like the uneasy feeling they get when views are expressed openly against their own, and they 'fight' back wiith whatever skills they have.  Some just explode, others start bickering and making sideways comments, and others just curl up and pretend they and their views do not exist. Did you watch Hariko's suggested 7 minute viewing at:

https://youtu.be/rE3j_RHkqJc

It is absolutely spot on and I'm passing it on to all my friends :)

There's a distinct difference between a debate and bickering. I don't care if that's "what politics come down to". It's that exact enabling attitude that propagates this behavior! The fact that you dismiss it on the premise that it's what people do it awful, you're using an issue's existence to justify it.

Also, I've seen the video before, I'm actually quite fond of CGP Grey.

There's a distinct difference between a debate and bickering. I don't care if that's "what politics come down to". It's that exact enabling attitude that propagates this behavior! The fact that you dismiss it on the premise that it's what people do it awful, you're using an issue's existence to justify it.

Yes, there is a difference between bickering and a debate, however, in my opinion a debate is just a regulated bickering match, and that's life in both NS and the real world. But to pretend that issues which are contentious or difficult will always be capable of being resolved to the satisfaction of both parties is a Utopian ideal, and those that hold this view are doomed to disappointment. One or both sides will always be disappointed or frustrated to a greater or lesser degree.  :(

Well of course one side is invariably likely to get their way, I never said anything to the contrary. I'm not arguing against the concept of arguments, I'm arguing against institutionalized rudeness.

Institutionalized rudeness, in its various forms and levels, is actually a basic instinct in mankind.  But it is supposed to be a fundamental function of a society to try and keep nature's natural state in check :) lol