Where Next

Pestarzt

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite sure what you mean when you say my government. In case you haven't noticed, I've been proposing multiple acts, including the General Elections Act, but as of now, the Executive Council Act hasn't even been seconded by the Speaker – And that's the one that really counts. I'd absolutely love to start making changes to the place and try to improve it, but it is important to note that I have no official positions excluding that of Warlord, which is relatively minor.

The above quote is from Mr Llamas and I need to rant a bit about it.

I believe you are missing a very important point about your efforts, Llamas.  You have been proposing multiple acts and the response from TWPers is "zzzzZZZZzzzzz."   Of course your stuff hasn't been seconded!  Seconding something in this environment is a waste of time that is frankly insurance against anything getting done.   I truly, truly appreciate everyone's efforts to help wake TWP's community.  But many who are putting effort are doing so with a template designed in other regions.  TWP has a culture that you can't just undo with a bunch of words on the forum.

We're lazy about legislation.  We can each give you reasons about why that is so.  Those reasons will be as varied and individualiszed as each player.  But part of what brought us together is that we don't WANT complicated.  We WANT simple and efficient. 

We're incredibly enthusiastic and active when it comes to things that are perceived to be fun.  We do not see voting on legislation as fun (see above).  Either make it fun or as simple and efficient as possible so we can move onto the fun part. 

We are shockingly practical.  We realize there needs to be rules and structure, especially if we are to grow the community and participation in that community.  But again...  unnecessary complications under the guise of "being deomocratic" are going to hit this region like a lead balloon and people will simply ignore you.

I understand your feelings may be bruised by lack of enthusiasm, but this is TWP.  

Make the rules.  Build the departments.  Run quick elections with the 7 people who care.  Then get to work making the departments fun and fill them with people.  As the region grows you will have need of increasingly complicated rules and you will find TWP enthusiastically supporting things that you previously couldn't get us out of a coma to attend.  That is when you add things:  When there is need for it, not before.

We want you here.  We need you here.  But if you continue to wait for us to be enthused about procedure for the sake of procedure, you will wait forever.

Here ends my rant/pep talk.

I pretty much completely agree with what Darkesia said. To be honest, even having served as an NS legislator myself, writing laws is boring. At the same time, it's pretty much a necessity. To at the very least get this bill passed, I recommend a minor change to the current rules: The addition of government fast-tracked legislation.

It's a simple concept, inspired by a similar process that used to be used in the US for trade negotiations. Both the Delegate and Prime Minister should have the explicit authority to submit a fast-track law before the HGA to skip past the whole long, boring, and complicated process of informal discussion, formal discussion, seconding, minimum discussion times, etc. Instead, they would be able to put the law up to vote. Say aye or nay. After a brief voting period, that's it. Frankly, it's ridiculous that we are currently wasting such long periods of time "Discussing" bills that nobody's actually even commented on in days.