So you want to be a Delegate

Darkesia

This is actually my second time being here. I had another nation back in 2004 but life happens (ex. divorce, moving,two kids in therapy, etc) and it got put to the wayside and forgotten about. However upon joining this second time there was a vast disparity in the 'welcome' I received from TWP vs. the recruiting regions.
Instead of just a welcome telegram, a more in depth telegram including all the region has to offer such as the off site forum, roleplaying, etc. When I joined I am not kidding I got over 20 of these in rapid succession. A few I dismissed immediately because they were from raiding communities, not something I have an interest in. Others just sounded like they were full of crap so I deleted those as well. Some sounded pompous and I don't deal with that when I'm here of my own volition and I'm not paid to bite my tongue. Others sounded alright but I didn't want to deal with making that decision at the time. Perhaps if we made more of an effort to advertise what our region has to offer as well as make a go at how recruiting others from other feeder regions...

More inclusive regional activities/discussions. Not just role playing but how many people on here play games such as civilization? If enough do why not a game playing night via system link or things like that? How about xbox? etc? This gets people actually talking to each other and creates an "us vs them mentality' when playing on a team which creates bonds. This feeds back into our community on here and helps create that 'sense' of community. Not everyone will be interested in things like this, and that's okay but it would be awesome to have as a possibility.

I think it's not just the gameplay on here that would make this a much more inclusive community, but what we could possibly expand it to by other things/activities, to build more of a connected relationship to each other in addition to this website that would make it great.

This sense of community is my wishful 'reality' that I would like to make happen. And honestly, not everyone will want ot take part. Some people really are on here to just answer issues and that's it. Some days thats how I feel too. Even for the people wanting more, it can be scary/overwhelming to just but in with a "Hey, I'm so-and-so" , and with different types of activities to participate in, perhaps the more eager or willing they will be to overcome that feeling and jump in. Also, there would be more niches for them to find their 'sub-community'.

As for the off-site foum. Honestly, I haven't been on it. I don't even know the name of it so I can only speak of it in a general term. However, an off-site forum is still a part of this region, and while only a percentage of people may use it it is connected. If some activities have their section of the forums on the off-site page then it would get more activity. Having a more noticeable link to it may help as well.

And what about rogue delegacies supported by the vide-delegate? How would you react to it, with no Guardians to be points of jump to recover the region?

What about rogue delegacies supported by the Guardians?  

I envision the Regional Guard that I mentioned in my fifth and final point as a check against rogue delegacies.  Seeing a few scores of regional guard flags endorsing the delegate and vice delegate that can potentially disappear within just a few days should give any potential rogue delegates pause.

I would disagree on one crucial matter though, which is the phasing out of the Guardian system. I fear that would be significantly detrimental to the security of the region. It is absolutely essential that a group of high influence nations be maintained to protect the region from both internal and external threats. The Guardian system is one of the reasons why TWP ranks as one of the most consistently secure regions in the game. We are perhaps not entirely stable in terms of internal shifts due to the power invested in said Guardians, but we are also invulnerable to coups and attacks by outside interlopers, earning TWP a deserved reputation as a very secure region.

If the Guardian system was abandoned all at once, I would agree with you, but I'm only suggesting a very gradual phasing out of the system.  As the Guardians are very gradually phased out, their nations would still maintain a very high level of influence.  That being said, any GCR is virtually impervious to external threats, and, as almost every GCR has shown, it's almost impossible to protect against internal threats indefinitely.  While the Guardian system is the reason why TWP is the most secure GCR behind The Pacific, I believe it's also the reason why TWP is also the most stagnant GCR behind The Pacific.  Any nation that has been founded in the region in more than two years has had zero chance of becoming delegate, and we all know that's the one thing most new nations want to eventually do.  I think we need to stop trading security for activity.  A reputation as a more inclusive region is one we need to begin to foster.

there can be no rogue delegacies, supported by guardians or not.

the person with the most endorsements is Delegate, such is the rule as handed down by Max, it can not be abolished.

Guardians were established to protect the serving delegate, the method of acquiring endorsements is up to the ambitious....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The official line is that there will be a scheme to offer training for those who might be interested and who have the promise to de Delegate. Unofficially, I suspect it's to flush out possible usurpers :)

Or none... or both!